Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Laugh Giggle and be Silly

Wondering why I have this title, well I was creating this mixed media piece and my daughters were also crafting along with me. So we all were giggling, laughing...hence the Title.

So, Many of you asked for a tutorial for my last mixed media art and here I created one just for you :) I created a spring theme canvas after seeing a few photos of poppies, which bloom in spring in California. We don't really have spring yet. I thought it was beginning to as I saw a few daffodils and Crocus in my garden but yesterday's snow rain n snow today reminded me that winter has not yet left us. 
This is a picture heavy post...just to warn you guys.

Step 1: I applied some gesso to my canvas and created slight texture on the borders.
Step 2: Applied a few gelatos and other water color crayons.




Step 3: I then used some water with my paint brush to blend the markers.I also applied some color to the border.


Step 4: Then I masked the center part and stamped the newspaper background repeatedly, using Archival black ink by Ranger as it doesn't react with water..


Step 5: I now stamped the flourish background onto a piece of tissue paper using black Pitt Artist pen by Faber Castell and used my gel medium to stick it to the canvas, just to give some grass effect.


Step 6:  Added some more colors to the sky and grass to create depth and some Gesso to create the texture and washed look for the border.


Step 7: I now stamped the Hero Arts Poppy flowers onto the tissue paper using Ranger Archival ink and glued it down to the canvas.


Step 8: Now, I started to color the flowers using some faber castell and Staedtler Aqurelle pencil along with my water color cakes.


Step 9: Once the coloring is finished, I started creating a border around my center image using some Pitt artist pen and other colors.


Step 10: Love the look of it. Unfortunately, we have bad lighting due to snow, so I couldn't take very good photos.
Here I applied some gold mist around the center focal window.Stamped the grass.


Step 11: 
Stamped my sentiment and birds using Pitt artist big brush markers and my Canvas is ready to be displayed on my wall.



closeup of the image, so its bit more clear.

Thank you for bearing with me through this long post. Hope it helps you create some nice Home Décor for your home. If you have any questions, please leave them onto the comment section.
Playing along the challenges at: 
A Blog Named Hero: Freestyle
Moxie Fab World: Spring Home Decor

See you tomorrow with some more fun creations!!

Supplies: Canvas, Stamps: (Newspaper, Design block Flourish, CL449, CL635, CL594, CL379) Hero Arts; Inks: (Archival Black) Ranger, (Grass Chalk ink) Hero Arts; Faber Castell Pitt big brush pen, Aquarelle pencils, Gelatos, Staedtler watercolor pencil, Gesso.

23 comments:

Emily Leiphart said...

Absolutely stunning, Isha! I imagine this will be displayed on your wall forever. It's really gorgeous and I love how you showed all the layers. Totally amazing!!

jintyoo7 said...

WOW - takes my breath away!! BEAUTIFUL :)

Meredith said...

Gorgeous! There is a yard just a few streets over from me that is filled with poppies in the Springtime...your lovely art makes me want to wander that way on my next walk!

Unknown said...

I've been dying to try mixed media out, thanks so much for the photo tutorial!

yyam said...

Well hello there mixed media artist! :)
This looks amazing Isha! Glad you are loving those Gelatos!

Anonymous said...

This is great - thought you make it seem a lot easer than I imagine it is :~) Thanks so much for sharing!
Hugs,
Lyn

Piali said...

Gorgeous! You've amazing talent my friend!!

Libby Hickson said...

This is absolutely stunning, Isha - I love it!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial, I'm going to collect the supplies and follow your steps! I've been trying to figure out mixed media. :-)

Kavitha Vadhri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn T said...

This is stunning Isha. You have done a fabulous job on your canvas.

Cindy C. said...

Wow what a gorgeous background you've created for those bright poppies! Stunning project!

Lindsey said...

Thank you for the step-by-step on this, Isha -- and what a gorgeous piece! And just adding to my desire for gelatos... :P

My Paper Epiphany said...

Gorgeous! I love poppies. Thanks for sharing your method.

Nancy K said...

Gorgeous! What a lovely work of art. Thanks so much for sharing your process too, how fun to watch beauty emerge with each step!

Carol McCready said...

Beautiful. Certainly makes me think
of spring.

Ava Gavloski said...

you are becoming an artist off the page, well done

Kerry said...

GORGEOUS! This is so beautiful! I am a bit intimidated by mixed media so I very much appreciate you sharing all your steps to create this.

Rebecca Ednie said...

very pretty. my favourite so far

Ann said...

Beautiful job, love the poppies.

Helen F. said...

Ohhh, such a beautiful wall hanging. The Poppy colors are so vibrant!

Lagene said...

Gorgeous canvas, thanks for all your details! Love your project! Found you by your Moxie Fab entry!

Anonymous said...

Stunning!! You did an amazing job!! Found you through Moxie Fab World!

Renee V said...

Wow, this is really gorgeous!!!! Good luck in the challenges you entered, found you from the Moxie Fab world Home Decor challenge :)